Monday, May 19, 2008

This, that and everything

I just wanted to post some random things that I have either discovered or have been able to do since becoming a mom:
  • work on the computer with 1 or 2 children on my lap
  • work on the computer with a sleeping or breastfeeding child on my lap
  • go to the bathroom while still having baby in my arms (sometimes you just have to go!)
  • get dressed while still having baby in my arms (takes a lot of coordination and extra time)
  • get older child dressed while breastfeeding
  • getting out of the house (on my own) with both kids dressed, fed, and diaper bag (with nothing missing) and still arrive at our destination on time or early. (I surprise myself on this one many times, the key is to be organised, which is easier said than done)
  • get breakfast, lunch and dinner accomplished on time for everybody (a little more complicated now that Xavier has just started solids, can't wait until he can eat what everybody else is eating). This is especially true when Richard is working his 24+ hour shifts
  • getting two kids down for a nap AT THE SAME TIME. (this one doesn't always happen)
  • being able to discipline Emma without punishing her. (this one is a bit controversial, as some people are totally agains corporal punishment and others are the complete opposite. Some people also think that discipline and punishment are the same thing. Here is how I define them. Punishment = using fear and intimidation, corporal punishment like spanking. In my own personal opinion, the child learns they can get in big trouble if they do something wrong, so they try to hide what they've done and don't really learn a lesson. They lose their safe place to fall back on, they lose confidence in themselves and have a higher tendency to rebel. Discipline = teaching a child that there are consequences to their actions while giving a lesson, using techniques like time outs. Time outs really do work and make your house a much happier place to be. All kids deserve a soft place to land and should not be afraid of their own home. Stepping off my soap box now.)

There is much more to write, but the baby alarm is sounding, need to get him from his nap.

1 comment:

Pierrette said...

kudos to you. i find the skill of using a computer while nursing very handy for us bloggers.